Our client is an Indian video streaming platform that offers a wide range of content including movies, TV shows, original web series, and live TV. One of India’s biggest media and entertainment corporations owns and runs it. The vision of our client is to provide a one-stop destination for all types of entertainment content to viewers in India and around the world. The platform wants to provide its users with a customized viewing experience while meeting their wide range of entertainment needs. To achieve its vision of becoming a global entertainment destination for content in multiple languages and genres, ACC (Applied Cloud Computing) created a fully automated and serverless video processing pipeline and provided it to our client. It helped provide high-quality services while easing the complexity of time.
Our client is an Indian subscription-based on-demand video streaming platform. It offers a variety of entertainment in many different languages, including TV shows, movies, live TV, and original content. Client’s customer base is primarily in India, but it also offers its services in over 190 countries around the world.
The client was facing the problem of video transcoding, which is the process of changing content data into a different format, such as size, resolution, and file format, to make it playable on different devices. Prior to this, our client had to transcode videos using a variety of command tools, which was time-consuming and took up a lot of space.
AWS has a service, and ACC used it and other components to build an automated workflow. ACC helped them by developing the postproduction automated video processing pipeline. All the audio-visual materials are transcoded and provided in a streamable format via this process.
As an IT solutions provider, ACC specializes in media, healthcare, banking security and financial services Industries. Our company had previously managed the client’s OTT platform-related operations. So, our extensive knowledge of OTT platforms and Amazon cloud services, as well as digitization in the media business, made us the perfect partner for our client.
Solution | Architecture & Services
The solution involved setting up a fully automated and serverless video processing pipeline. Firstly, the audio and video files are uploaded to Amazon S3. The transcoding jobs are then added to the SQS (Simple Queue Service) queue. Using the specified settings, AWS Elemental MediaConvert transcodes the raw files after retrieving the job information from the SQS queue. The finished files are kept on Amazon S3. During this process, Amazon CloudWatch monitors the pipeline for any operational issues and provides real-time metrics, logs, and alarms. AWS Lambda functions are triggered based on Amazon CloudWatch alarms, allowing for automatic error handling and recovery.
After transcoding is finished, end users can receive the transcoded content files over Amazon CloudFront, which offers low latency and high-performance content delivery. Amazon DynamoDB is used to store and analyze data about the transcoding pipeline, such as job status, processing times, and error rates.
The Video processing pipeline supports integrating multilingual audio and subtitles while converting files into streamable formats such as HLS for Apple and Dash for Android. The system works with SD, HD, and UHD resolutions and offers DRM integration for content security and ad integration for monetization.
ACC’s seamless and fully automated video transcoding pipeline resulted in improved video quality, reduced data losses, low latency, and minimal data usage for the client. With this solution, the client could effortlessly upload, process, and play videos of any size or format, achieving their goal of providing a personalized viewing experience. To improve the user experience, the pipeline also supported multi-audio options like Atmos and Dolby.
Our client’s future plan is to continue providing a personalized and efficient user experience by leveraging the power of fully automated video transcoding pipeline and by constantly innovating and expanding its content offerings.
About Our Client
Our client is a popular Indian video streaming platform. It was launched in 2018 and offers a huge library of films, TV shows, web series, and live TV channels in many different languages, including Hindi, English, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Bengali, and more. With users across the globe, our client’s services are offered in more than 190 countries. Nonetheless, the platform’s main audience segments are South Asian audiences drawn to Indian content and members of the Indian diaspora who live abroad.
AWS Services Used
- AWS Elemental MediaConvert- AWS Elemental MediaConvert is a video transcoding service that operates on a file-based system and offers broadcast-grade functionalities. It allows users to produce live stream content suitable for broadcasting and multi-screen delivery on a large scale.
- AWS Lambda- AWS Lambda is a compute service that lets you run code without provisioning or managing servers. Lambda executes your code on a high-availability compute infrastructure and manages all aspects of the computing environment, such as server and operating system upkeep, capacity provisioning and automatic scaling, logging, and log analysis.
- Amazon S3- Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) is an object storage service that offers scalable, secure, and high-performance storage for customers of all sizes and industries. Customers may store and protect any amount of data with Amazon S3 while still adhering to strict organizational, legal, and business standards.
- AWS SQS- With Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), you can effortlessly transmit, save, and obtain messages between software components, irrespective of the volume, without experiencing any loss of messages or the necessity of other services being accessible.
- Amazon CloudFront- Amazon CloudFront is a content delivery network (CDN) service built for high performance, security, and developer convenience.
- Amazon DynamoDB- Amazon DynamoDB is a fully managed, serverless, key-value NoSQL database designed to run high-performance applications at any scale. Built-in security, ongoing backups, automated multi-Region replication, in-memory caching, and tools for data import and export are all provided by DynamoDB.
- Amazon CloudWatch- The Amazon CloudWatch service collects and displays real-time logs, metrics, and event data through automated dashboards to simplify infrastructure and application maintenance.